The TLN Assembly and SMSC pack suggests ideas for assembly and, or, collective worship that supports spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development.
TLN’s four key questions ‘Who am I?’, ‘Who are we?’, ‘Where do we live?’ and ‘How do we all live together?’ are accessible in meaning to pupils and are used throughout these assembly plans to deliver breadth of SMSC coverage, supporting planning to promote identity, diversity, equality and community.
About the Assemblies
All the assemblies referred to in this pack have been used in a school, and last 15 minutes. They will, as all assemblies do, require tailoring to a new school context.
Key features of the planning are:
- ‘Talking partners’ with carefully chosen questions for quality discussion to generate excellent ideas from pupils.
- All adults present to engage with pairs of children to support quality responses.
- Access to a screen for song words, pictures and the internet is useful.
- Use fascinating, real objects to help dramatise stories.
- Listening to, interviewing and hearing the life stories of real people, especially as an on-going connection to a small group of community members over time, has been found to significantly enhance pupil’s SMSC development.
Each assembly plan includes:
- A rationale about what you aim to achieve.
- Learning objective(s).
- Ideas used to include ‘talking partner’ questions, stimuli used, real objects, interview questions, reflections and song ideas.
TLN recommends The Lion Book of 1,000 Prayers for Children (widely available through all good book sellers) as an excellent source of reflections for assemblies.
To access the assemblies click on the links below.
- Community Assemblies: Friends’ Strategy
- Who Are We? Our Greatest Achievements
- Where Do We Live? The Places We Have Lived and Belonged
- How Do We All Live Together? ‘Starfish Assembly’
- Who Are We? ‘Names Assembly’
- How Do We All Live Together? Perseverance and Support: Derek Redmond’s Story
- Who Are We? Who’s Who? ‘Identity Mysteries Assembly’
- How Do We All Live Together? We Are All Born Free: ‘Identity Mysteries Assembly’
Download our full SMSC assembly pack here.