Training for SMSC & British Values
The spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of students is at the heart of school life. It connects to school culture and ethos and it is inspected by Ofsted.
Review and support in school for SMSC.
The Linking Network offers bespoke support to schools who wish to review their provision and impact on SMSC including British values and in so doing review the impact and strength of their culture and ethos. This process can include: staff meeting in your school,student interviews, SMSC walks, policy review. This support can be taken up by secondary, primary and special schools. For further information please contact us at meg.henry.thelinkingnetwork.org.uk.
Training for Leading SMSC across a school.
We run a one-day course, “Leading Outstanding SMSC Development and British Values: from class to whole school”, aimed at aiding senior school leaders in developing strategies for incorporating SMSC and British values into their school culture and ethos.
This training equips senior leaders with the tools needed to train their own staff in SMSC development. We also offer the option for our team to deliver in house training to teachers and staff to help them understand how to implement SMSC values into the curriculum and their day to day work.
Leading SMSC Development and British Values
The quality of a school’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development is central to its ethos. Its importance is emphasised in the Ofsted framework, particularly in relation to leadership, management and overall effectiveness of the school.
This one-day course, led by qualified and experienced teacher-advisors, balances input with reflection and interactivity and guides participants in developing SMSC, meeting requirements for British values and planning curriculum approaches to the Prevent Duty in their own school context. The course is fully updated to cover August 2016 Ofsted changes and British values.
Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and, within this, the promotion of fundamental British values, are at the heart of the school’s work.” – Outstanding Ofsted School Inspection Handbook August 2016
At the end of the course, you will:
- Have a clear understanding of what SMSC development and British values look like in a school
- Be aware of Ofsted inspection and DfE expectations in this area
- Be equipped with the knowledge needed to create and implement a whole school strategy for SMSC, British values and curriculum approaches to the Prevent Duty
- Take home a number of resources which exemplify SMSC and British values development and approaches that protect from radicalisation in all its forms, as well as audit tools and a PowerPoint for a staff meeting to disseminate the learning, available exclusively to course delegates
- Understand how to evidence and evaluate the impact of SMSC
The course is aimed at headteachers and senior and middle leaders leading on SMSC and curriculum approaches to British values.