In this Guidance Area we post documents connected to identity, diversity, equality, community, SMSC including British values, safeguarding, bullying and the National Curriculum.
TLN Guidance Documents
Summary documents made by TLN of the latest guidance from the Ofsted Inspection Handbook, DfE British values and SMSC Guidance from the DfE. These can be useful for delivering staff training on SMSC or Schools Linking. We update these when documents are updated so do please check back here for updates.
These documents are taken from the Ofsted Handbook published June 2021
Statutory government guidance that we find useful, connected to identity, diversity, equality, community, SMSC including British values, safeguarding, bullying and curriculum.
- Ofsted inspection handbook September 2021
- Ofsted non-association independent school handbook new edition September 2021
- Ofsted early years inspection handbook updated September 2021
- Ofsted education inspection framework updated July 2021
- Ofsted Inspecting Safeguarding new edition September 2019
- Ofsted further education and skills inspection handbook March 2020
- School strategies for preventing and tackling bullying:
- Promoting fundamental British values through SMSC
- SMSC requirements for independent schools Nov 2013
- SMSC requirements for independent schools supplementary Nov 2014
- The national curriculum
- What maintained schools must publish online
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: diversity
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: gypsy, traveller and Roma children
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: PSHE and Citizenship
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: religious education
Reports and Papers
The reports and papers below are relevant to work on identity, diversity, community and equality in education
- Integrated Communities Green Paper
- Understanding School Segregation in England:2011 to 2016
- Truth Lies and the Internet
- Interim Report into Integration of Immigrants
- Curriculum Review: Diversity & Citizenship
- Kingdom United? Thirteen steps to tackle social segregation
- Digital Citizenship – Countering Extremism Online
- Schools with Soul: A new approach to Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education (SMSC)
Research Underpinning Linking
Our researcher in residence, Lindsey Cameron, has published several papers on why linking works.
- Research underpinning the linking process July 2019, Dr Lindsey Cameron
- Webinar by Dr Lindsey Cameron on Negative Contact: What it is, what does it look like and why is it important?
- Gender Stereotype Training – a series of short lectures
- Indirect Contact: A Summary for Teachers