In this Guidance Area we post documents connected to identity, diversity, equality, community, SMSC including British values, safeguarding, bullying and the National Curriculum.
Summary documents made by TLN of the latest guidance from the Ofsted Inspection Handbook, DfE British values and SMSC Guidance, the DfE Prevent Duty for Schools. These can be useful for delivering staff training on SMSC or Schools Linking. We update these when documents are updated so please check back here:
Evaluations of Schools Linking
- NFER evaluation This evaluation published in 2011 looked at the expansion of Schools Linking nationally.
- Linking Evaluation 2009 This evaluation was of the Bradford Schools Linking programme as it had evolved and was being adopted in other local authority areas.
- Evaluation 2006 This evaluation was of the Bradford Schools Linking Programme and was led by Anni Raw.
Papers about Schools Linking
‘If you could do one thing’ British Academy Essay: 10 local actions to promote social integration. TLN contributed essay 5 https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/sites/default/files/British%20Academy%20IYCDOT%20Essays.pdf
Promoting Ethnic and Religious Integration In Schools: A Review of Evidence
This review was commissioned by the DfE and undertaken by NIESR and references Schools Linking and also the resources Schools Linking provides for classroom use
RE and good community relations:
What can RE learn from social psychology? A Toolkit for Teachers of RE
TLN spoke to the authors of this really helpful toolkit which outlines Social Contact Theory – TLN work is featured on page 10 onhttps://www.natre.org.uk/uploads/Additional%20Documents/The%20Shared%20Space%20Folder/teachers%20toolkit%20final%20April%202018.pdf
Statutory government guidance that we find useful, connected to identity, diversity, equality, community, SMSC including British values, safeguarding, bullying and curriculum.
- Ofsted inspection handbook September 2018 new version has changes to curriculum and safeguarding. There are no changes to SMSC orBritish values.
- Ofsted non-association independent school handbook new edition August 2018
- Ofsted early years inspection handbook April 2018
- Ofsted common inspection framework: education, skills and early years Sept 2015 This has not been changed since September 2015.
- Ofsted Inspecting Safeguarding new edition September 2018
- Ofsted further education and skills inspection handbook April 2018
- School strategies for preventing and tackling bullying:
- Promoting fundamental British values through SMSC
- SMSC requirements for independent schools Nov 2013
- SMSC requirements for independent schools supplementary Nov 2014
- The national curriculum
- What maintained schools must publish online
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: diversity
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: gypsy, traveller and Roma children
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: PSHE and Citizenship
- Ofsted examples of good practice in schools: religious education
Reports and Papers
The reports and papers below are relevant to work on identity, diversity, community and equality in education