An example of a linking day plan made for teachers visiting a neutral venue.
ACTIVITY: AN EXAMPLE OF A LINKING DAY PLAN MADE FOR TEACHERS VISITING A NEUTRAL VENUE
This particular day was run as a first meeting at a neutral venue with 60 children and three facilitators. This plan can easily be adapted to suit individual requirements.
OLYMPIC VALUES: FRIENDSHIP, EXCELLENCE, RESPECT, COURAGE, DETERMINATION, EQUALITY, INSPIRATION
PREPARATION WORK IN SCHOOL:
To familiarise the children with the meaning of the Olympic Values please look at the following activities in school.
Schools to organise before arriving:
- Children with name stickers and colour groups (Discuss with your link teacher numbers, SEN, boy girl ratio etc.)
- Adults from school assigned to colour gps. (Teachers from the 2 schools in diff gps, Any challenging pupils with own teacher)
- Bring extra copies of list of names of all children and adults with each group printed (1 for school office and then 1 for each group facilitator)
- All children and adults with packed lunch and drink
- You may wish children to be in school sweatshirts but wear jogging bottoms? Discuss with your link teacher.
Visiting children place lunch boxes in crates labelled with group colours. Toilets as required. If one school is late first class teachers to run additional circle games or activity while waiting.
Facilitator: Welcome; Health and Safety; Aims of day referring to Olympic Values.
Teachers: Lead circle games (eg Change Places); organise each colour group to be led to Session 1 at 10.30.
10.30 – 11.30 Session 1
Red stay in Events Pod; Green in Classroom; Blue in Peace Pod.
(Each group to take lunch box crate with them to Session 1 as they will eat there)
11.30 – 11.50 Lunch
In first session space (crate of lunch boxes returned by an adult to labelled group station near Events Pod at end of lunch)
Each group to begin to move at 11.50. Teachers to supervise moving to new station with while facilitators stay in their room to be ready to receive the next group. Circuit route: Events Pod floor 5; then Classroom floor 3; then Peace Pod floor 1; then Events Pod floor 5.
1.50 – 12.50 Session 2
Red in Classroom; Green in Peace Pod; Blue in Events Pod.
12.50 – 1.50 Session 3
Red in Peace Pod; Green in Events Pod; Blue in Classsroom
1.50 – 2.05 Plenary led by teachers
Could include a photo taken of both classes waving
2.05 Departure from Events Pod
2.10 Departure from the Building
Risk Assessment Guidance Notes:
NB This is for guidance only. It is essential that all groups carry out their own risk assessment prior to the visit.
- Slips, trip and falls – children to walk at all times in the building.
- Stairs – the children will be walking up and down the stairs several times between different activities and children need to be under teacher supervision at all times.
- Toilets – the building is used by members of the public so it is essential that children are escorted to the toilet by a member of their own school staff as you would do on a school visit to a museum. There are toilets on each floor so we recommend that you use the toilets on the floor you are working on.
- First Aid – there are first aiders in the building but we recommend that schools make their own arrangements as well.
- Doors – many doors are heavy and can swing, please take care to avoid trapped fingers.
- Fire exits – the muster point is in the car park. Do not use the lift in the event of an evacuation.